Monday 24 November 2014

On a cold and frosty morning!

First frost of the year here in North Devon, my first thought was, darn, did I remember to leave my heater on in the office?

My office is a wooden building with a tin roof, the insulation isn't the best as it was built as a workshop/barn and in fact in the larger part it is still used as a barn to house some of the farms pygmy goats. In the summer when the sun shines on the tin roof we can get inside temperatures of 35+ degrees C and in the winter when it's freezing outside it's freezing inside if I don't remember to leave my heater on!

My side of the workshop is about 7m * 5m - a whopping 35 square metres of uninsulated space that needs heating!

Thank goodness for our infrared heaters - we use a 600w heater that sits above two desks and this is enough to stop the office from freezing and on milder winter days is enough to keep the two of us warm.

When it gets really cold, we turn an old 1200w heater on to give the place a bit of a boost.

What did we do before our infrared heaters, we had a 2Kw storage heater and a 2Kw convector heater, and we were still cold.

So, we are warmer and have more than halved our heating costs!

No comments:

Post a Comment